New thinking for an age of chaos
We work with professional investors to refine and refresh thinking about the key technologies that will shape global business.
Our approach is to reframe thinking, torture assumptions, and offer the results of obsessive, multi-sourced research via written briefings and face-to-face brainstorming.
We work with professional investors to refine and refresh thinking about the key technologies that will shape and reshape global business. Our approach is to reframe your thinking, torture assumptions, and offer the results of obsessive, multi-sourced research via written briefings and face-to-face brainstorming.
1. We Help You Identify Toxic Investments in Your Portfolio
• INDUSTRIAL RESET: 40% of semiconductor companies have been wiped out in the last couple of years and we believe this is just the start. We expect seismic shifts for several legacy industries that have substituted debt for innovation over the last three decades. Find out whether you are currently holding any positions on our watch list.
• TOXIC PROFILE: Do you own companies that fit this profile: heavy on debt, bureaucratic, vulnerable to platform adjacency? We give you full ongoing risk assessment.
2. Pinpoint Which Companies Are Best Positioned to Thrive
• WATCHLIST OF 15 SMALL AND MID-CAPS: Find out which companies are best positioned to thrive as we build a new economy of sensors, oscillators, storage and artificial intelligence.
• TECH SHOCK: The system is still in its early stages and keeps mutating. It has needs, tendencies. It breaks down. We have a watchlist of 16 companies solving chronic problems such as memory shortage, foundry capacity, vulnerable networks, dark code, disaster highways.
3. Alert You to Imminent Risks to Your Portfolio (Over the Next 12 – 24 Months)
• CREDIT MELTDOWNS: A quarter of outstanding global corporate debt (as much as $3.4 trillion) is linked to utility and auto-industry bonds that rely on fossil fuel activities. We look at many scenarios which present an imminent risk to your portfolio.
• SYSTEMIC EVENTS: We are deeply concerned about the prospect of a Lehman’s scale cyber event, where an attack on a critical part of the digital infrastructure leads to widespread blackouts and internet outages in the US, with devastating economic consequences. We’ll show you which industries are exposed to this.
We prepare you for this new economy: the companies that will thrive, the companies that will disappear, shocks, the new risks, the new investment methods, the new industries that will spring up from nowhere
We believe the next decade will be dominated by a struggle for control between two competing and deeply flawed ideologies (see table).
This scene is a troubling one for professional investors.
It’s an age of structural uncertainty with a growing dominance of mathematical algorithms and autonomous systems that are only partially understood.
We focus a great deal on emerging ideologies and how the chaotic system of sensors, chips, oscillators, drones, bit barns and satellites is evolving: what it needs, how it works, what aspects of economic activity it is displacing.
And we have found that one of the most fruitful things we do with new clients is lead a small group brainstorming session on site — gloves off, messy, often fractious, and see what emerges to work on.
In the 2013 movie ‘Her’, the central character has a love affair with a disembodied voice. The voice begins by making a few tentative inquiries of its owner, but it soon learns his habits and insecurities, and with each interaction, it learns to inveigle itself into...read more
Remember the dial-up internet and the finger tapping timpani it yielded? Well, maybe a new era of the ‘world wide wait’ looms. Global internet traffic is growing by at least 25% a year — far outstripping the current growth in bandwidth with mobile traffic growing at...read more
An experiment. Hold out your right arm and then slowly flex your wrist. Which comes first – the thought to flex your wrist, or the action itself? In the 1980s, an experiment by the neurologist Benjamin Libet raised some disturbing questions about the extent to which...read more
Book Your Free, Informal Consultation
We’ll discuss how we can help you to:
- Identify any toxic investments that currently exist in your portfolio
- Pinpoint those companies best positioned to thrive in the current climate
- Flag up imminent potential risks in the short to mid-term (12 – 24 months)